A propulsion system upgrade designed for reduced fuel consumption by integrating the design of rudder and propeller systems. Promas Lite is a version of the successful Rolls-Royce Promas integrated propeller and rudder system, designed specifically as an upgrade for vessels already in service.
The upgrade consists of three main components;
- a bulb which is attached to the forward edge of the rudder
- a hubcap which is bolted to the rear of the propeller
- a set of redesigned propeller blades
Each Promas Lite system is custom engineered to an individual vessel. We model each solution using the extensive in-house CFD (computational fluid dynamics) capabilities at the Rolls-Royce Hydrodynamic Research Centre to ensure that each design is matched to the hull and specified operating profile.
- Reduced fuel consumption: improvements of up to 20% can be expected depending on the vessel’s operating profile.
- Reduced environmental impact: corresponding reduction in emissions with lower emission taxes.
- Short payback period: depends on vessel operating profile, but a payback is typically achieved in less than two years.
- Simple, robust design: the design doesn’t rely on any complex mechanical features.
- Simple and quick installation: can be normally fitted during a routine dry-docking.
- Lower maintenance costs: reduced engine loads means less oil consumption and potentially reduced engine wear.