US Representative Tim Murphy visits Rolls-Royce Nuclear Services facility in Pittsburgh
Tuesday, 13 August 2013
(Moon Township, PA) Rolls-Royce today welcomed US Representative Tim Murphy (PA-18) to its newly expanded and re-branded Nuclear Services facility in Moon Township, PA. The visit marked the official integration of nuclear specialist consultants PKMJ Technical Services into the Rolls-Royce Group following its acquisition.
The expanded Moon Township facility, which is already home to over 200 highly-skilled engineers, will enable Rolls-Royce to further grow the business in line with market needs and to broaden the range of plant optimization services that it provides to nuclear utility customers across the world.
"This facility has been part of the Western Pennsylvania community since the mid 1980's. We have grown our customer base to serve 157 nuclear power reactors around the world, including every nuclear power plant in the US and Canada," said Paul Tobin, Rolls-Royce Vice-President, Engineering Services and former President, PKMJ. "We employ some of the most highly-skilled engineers in the nuclear industry. Rolls-Royce is trusted to deliver excellence worldwide and we are proud and excited to become a part of it. Today marks the next step in the evolution of our business."
"I am pleased to be here today, to unveil the Rolls-Royce brand in this newly expanded Moon Township facility, as well as to have the opportunity to meet members of the highly talented workforce who will be based here. This serves as a prime example of how a local business can grow and prosper on a global stage, delivering further opportunity for growth and employment in Southwestern Pennsylvania" said Representative Tim Murphy (PA-18).
Through its Nuclear Services business in Pittsburgh, Rolls-Royce helps nuclear utility customers to optimize the safety, availability and cost-effectiveness of their nuclear power plants by understanding and proactively addressing obsolescence-related issues, increasing component reliability and driving supply chain efficiencies. Rolls-Royce also has Nuclear Services facilities based in Williamson, NY and Peterborough, Ontario, Canada and Nuclear Instrumentation and Control facilities based in Huntsville, AL and Chattanooga, TN. Rolls-Royce Group employs more than 7,700 people in the US across 26 states.
- Rolls-Royce is a world-leading provider of power systems and services for use on land, at sea and in the air, and has established a strong position in global markets - civil aerospace, defence aerospace, marine and energy.
- As a result of this strategy, Rolls-Royce has a broad customer base comprising more than 300 airlines, 4,000 corporate and utility aircraft and helicopter operators, 160 armed forces, more than 4,000 marine customers, including 70 navies, and energy customers in more than 80 countries.
- Annual underlying revenue was $19.5* billion in 2012, of which more than half came from the provision of services. The firm and announced order book stood at $110.7 billion at 30 June 2013, providing visibility of future levels of activity
- Rolls-Royce employs over 45,000 people in offices, manufacturing and service facilities in over 50 countries. Over 14,000 of these employees are engineers.
- Rolls-Royce supports a global network of 28 University Technology Centres, which connect the company’s engineers with the forefront of scientific research.
- The Group has a strong commitment to apprentice and graduate recruitment and to further developing employee skills.
- In North America, Rolls-Royce employs more than 9,300 people in 66 locations in 26 states and 7 sites in 6 Canadian provinces. In the United States, Rolls-Royce employs more than 7,700 people in 26 states.
- Rolls-Royce supports a number of key phases of nuclear programs, including providing advice to governments and operators, supply chain management, and manufacturing and technical engineering support. The Group’s nuclear services activity represents more than half of its civil nuclear business and includes support to operational reactors in 20 countries across Europe, North America and Asia.
- Rolls-Royce has a large and highly experienced nuclear skills base with approximately 3,000 employees in the UK, France, the Czech Republic, North America and China.
* Assumed exchange rate: £1.00= $1.60
For further information, please contact:
Director of Communications,
Rolls-Royce North America
Tel:+1 (703) 621 2709
Mobile:+1 (317) 410-1000
External Communications Manager
Mobile:+44 (0) 7800 872735