Rolls-Royce secure offshore design and equipment orders for more than £60m
Friday, 9 May 2014
Rolls-Royce has announced orders from a variety of international customers for its offshore ship designs and equipment worth more than £60m.
The contracts, which include five Rolls-Royce UT Design vessels and propulsion equipment packages for research and seismic survey vessels, were announced at the Offshore Technology Conference (OTC) in Houston, Texas, one of the world's leading industry events.
In what is the 40th anniversary of the industry leading UT Design, the five ships ordered this week are two UT717 CDX platform supply vessels (PSV) for Norwegian customer Island Offshore and two larger UT755 PSVs for Aberdeen based Fletcher Shipping. These contracts are worth £14m and £11.5m to Rolls-Royce respectively. The fifth Rolls-Royce vessel is a UT782 WP - an advanced design for a large anchor handling tug supply (AHTS) vessel for ship owner Secunda Canada LP in a contract worth £16m. This is the first order for a wave piercing design in the Americas, and the vessel's hull has been optimised for the demanding scope and harsh North Atlantic conditions.
A range of Rolls-Royce propulsion equipment will also feature on three vessels for China Oilfield Services Ltd. (COSL), worth £19m. Two deep sea research vessels (ST 259) and one seismic vessel (ST318) will feature Rolls-Royce engines, thrusters and control systems. The vessels have been designed by Norwegian company Skipsteknisk and will be built at the CSSC Huangpu Wenchong Shipyard in China.
John Knudsen, Rolls-Royce President Offshore, said: "We are delighted to be able to announce a range of contracts with our Offshore customers, demonstrating not only the continuing popularity of our own UT vessel design, now in its 40th year, but also our ability to work closely with other designers in providing sophisticated systems ideally suited to their own designs."
About Rolls-Royce Holdings plc
- Rolls-Royce's vision is to create better power for a changing world via two main business segments, Aerospace and Marine & Industrial Power Systems (MIPS). These business segments address markets with two strong technology platforms, gas turbines and reciprocating engines, for use on land, at sea and in the air.
- Aerospace comprises Civil Aerospace and Defence Aerospace. MIPS comprises Marine, Energy & Nuclear and Power Systems (RRPS). On 7 March 2014, Daimler announced their intention to exercise their option to sell their 50% share in RRPS to Rolls-Royce Holdings plc. On 16 April 2014, Rolls-Royce and Daimler announced that they have agreed the valuation of Daimler's 50% equity interest. The transaction is expected to complete within the coming months and is subject to the usual regulatory approvals.
- Rolls-Royce has customers in more than 120 countries, comprising more than 380 airlines and leasing customers, 160 armed forces, 4,000 marine customers, including 70 navies, and 1,600 energy and nuclear customers.
- Our business is focused on the 4Cs:
- Customer - placing the customer at the heart of our business
- Concentration - deciding where to grow and where not to
- Cost - continually looking to increase efficiency
- Cash - improving financial performance.
- Annual underlying revenue was £15.5 billion in 2013, around half of which came from the provision of aftermarket services. The firm and announced order book stood at £71.6 billion at 31 December 2013.
- In 2013, Rolls-Royce invested £1.1 billion on research and development. We also support a global network of 31 University Technology Centres, which position Rolls-Royce engineers with the forefront of scientific research.
- Rolls-Royce employs over 55,000 people in 45 countries. Over 17,000 of these are engineers.
- The Group has a strong commitment to apprentice and graduate recruitment and to further developing employee skills. In 2013 we employed 379 graduates and 288 apprentices through our worldwide training programmes.
For further information, please contact:
Anette Bonnevie Wollebæk
Senior Communications Manager - Marine, Nordic Region
Mobile: +47 976 70 882
Vice President Marketing & Communications, Marine - Americas
Mobile : +1 (301) 820-8246