Rolls-Royce opens new marine service centre in Bergen
Thursday, 5 June 2014
Rolls-Royce today announced the opening of a new marine service centre in Bergen, Norway. The facility will service the North Sea fleet, giving access to on-shore power and a shorter sailing time to service, providing a favourable environmental profile.
The service centre's well-equipped workshop is an area of nearly 1,300 square metres and the length of quay is sufficient for two vessels to berth simultaneously. The quay area has ISPS approval for port security, which is a requirement for vessels operating in international waters.
Knut Chr. Hovland, Rolls-Royce, Senior Vice President Marine Services Europe, said: "Bergen sees some 1,600 offshore vessels arrive every year. Of these 1,200 have equipment made by Rolls-Royce on board, including engines, deck machinery, thrusters, rudders and steering gear.
"This new service centre is aimed first and foremost at vessels operating in the North Sea out of Bergen. These vessels usually spend time waiting at the quay and can with advantage use some of this time to carry out repairs."
Provision has also been made for vessels at the quay to shut down their engines and use on-shore power. When ships run using on-shore power they can avoid using their auxiliary generator sets to produce the power they need when tied up.
"This is important for air quality in Bergen and is in line with the work Rolls-Royce continually does to develop marine solutions that consume less fuel and produce lower emissions," said Knut Chr. Hovland.
With the opening of the new facility in Bergen the Marine division of Rolls-Royce now has 37 service facilities in 28 countries across the world.
About Rolls-Royce Holdings plc
- Rolls-Royce's vision is to create better power for a changing world via two main business segments, Aerospace and Marine & Industrial Power Systems (MIPS). These business segments address markets with two strong technology platforms, gas turbines and reciprocating engines, for use on land, at sea and in the air.
- Aerospace comprises Civil Aerospace and Defence Aerospace. MIPS comprises Marine, Energy & Nuclear and Power Systems (RRPS). On 7 March 2014, Daimler announced their intention to exercise their option to sell their 50% share in RRPS to Rolls-Royce Holdings plc. On 16 April 2014, the valuation was agreed and the transaction is expected to complete within the coming months, subject to the usual regulatory approvals. On 6 May 2014 Rolls-Royce announced it had signed an agreement to sell its Energy gas turbine and compressor business to Siemens for a £785m cash consideration. On completion, expected before the end of December 2014, Rolls-Royce will receive a further £200 million for a 25 year licensing agreement.
- Rolls-Royce has customers in more than 120 countries, comprising more than 380 airlines and leasing customers, 160 armed forces, 4,000 marine customers, including 70 navies, and 1,600 energy and nuclear customers.
- Our business is focused on the 4Cs:
- Customer - placing the customer at the heart of our business
- Concentration - deciding where to grow and where not to
- Cost - continually looking to increase efficiency
- Cash - improving financial performance.
- Annual underlying revenue was £15.5 billion in 2013, around half of which came from the provision of aftermarket services. The firm and announced order book stood at £71.6 billion at 31 December 2013.
- In 2013, Rolls-Royce invested £1.1 billion on research and development. We also support a global network of 31 University Technology Centres, which position Rolls-Royce engineers with the forefront of scientific research.
- Rolls-Royce employs over 55,000 people in 45 countries. Over 17,000 of these are engineers.
- The Group has a strong commitment to apprentice and graduate recruitment and to further developing employee skills. In 2013 we employed 379 graduates and 288 apprentices through our worldwide training programmes.
For further information, please contact:
Anette Bonnevie Wollebæk
Senior Communications Manager - Marine, Nordic Region
Mobile: +47 976 70 882