Rolls-Royce AE 3007A2 engine to power new executive jet
Monday, 19 October 2009
Rolls-Royce, the global power systems company, today officially introduced the latest engine in its AE 3007 series – the AE 3007A2. This is the exclusive powerplant for the Legacy 650, the new Embraer large executive jet.
The engine will be certificated in the second half of 2010 and Entry-into-Service (EIS) on the Legacy 650 will take place in the same year.
Dr. Michael Haidinger, President Rolls-Royce Deutschland and COO Corporate and Regional Engines Rolls-Royce, said, "Rolls-Royce is extremely pleased to introduce the AE 3007A2 on the Embraer Legacy 650. The new AE 3007A2 incorporates the latest technology and offers superior performance in the 9,000 lb class, with 6 to 12 percent higher altitude take-off and climb thrust than its predecessor. It guarantees the Legacy 650 an outstanding performance out of very restrictive airports, allowing it to fly up to 3,900 nautical miles with extremely competitive operating costs.”
The engine features a higher flow, more efficient wide-chord fan and updated software that yields higher efficiency and optimises long range cruise fuel consumption. The new fan incorporates 38.5 inch compound swept fan blades with a new bypass vane and core vane, using Rolls-Royce state-of-the-art technology. The AE 3007A2 has 90 per cent commonality in engine core with the AE engine family which has over 35 million hours of service-proven operations.
“Rolls-Royce has made an already very successful engine more powerful and fuel efficient. The AE 3007A2 is the right powerplant to boost the range and performance of the Legacy 650 into the Large Jets segment,” said Luis Carlos Affonso, Embraer Executive Vice President, Executive Jets.
Capable of an extended range of up to 3,900 nautical miles (7,223 km) and cruising speed of Mach 0.80, the AE 3007A2-powered Legacy 650 has outstanding performance capability in hot and high destinations, such as Dubai, Toluca, Mexico, and is able to operate at airfields up to 13,800 ft elevation, such as Aspen and Telluride, Colorado, USA and La Paz, Bolivia. It will also be one of the largest executive jets allowed to fly in and out of the Cannes-Mandelieu (France) and London City (UK) airports.
Successful first flight of the first AE 3007A2-powered Legacy 650 took place on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 at Embraer’s Flight Test facility in Gaviao Peixoto, Brazil. The second Legacy 650 flew on September 24, 2009 in São Jose dos Campos, Brazil. Both aircraft are enrolled in the flight test campaign that will lead to certification.
- Rolls-Royce, a world-leading provider of power systems and services for use on land, at sea and in the air, has established a strong position in global markets – civil aerospace, defence aerospace, marine and energy. In each of these sectors, Rolls-Royce offers value-added long-term service agreements for customers and operators.
- The company has a broad customer base including more than 600 airlines, 4,000 corporate and utility aircraft and helicopter operators, 160 armed forces, more than 2,000 marine customers, including 70 navies, and energy customers in nearly 120 countries.
- With facilities in 50 countries, Rolls-Royce employs 39,000 people worldwide and has businesses headquartered in the UK, U.S., Canada, Germany, Scandinavia and China. This global presence allows the Group to access long-term international growth opportunities with its technology, presence, partnerships and people.
- In 2008, Rolls-Royce and its partners invested £885 million on research and development, two thirds of which had the objective of further improving the environmental aspects of its products, in particular the reduction of emissions.
- Rolls-Royce is the leading engine supplier for today’s business jets with more than one third of the market, by value share.
- The AE engine family is manufactured by Rolls-Royce Corporation in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA. Rolls-Royce Corporation is a six-time recipient of the Embraer Supplier of the Year Award.
- Designed for outstanding reliability, the AE 3007A2 will be supported by the industry-leading Rolls-Royce CorporateCare® services programme.
- For more information about Embraer Executive Jets, visit: www.EmbraerExecutiveJets.com