Rolls-Royce wins $10M contract for the Petrobras Gasene Pipeline
Thursday, 3 January 2008
Rolls-Royce has received an order from Siemens Industrial Turbomachinery, Inc. to supply natural gas compressors for the Petrobras Gasene pipeline.
Siemens is the main contractor for the supply of turbo-compressor packages to the Brazilian state oil company for this project, with Rolls-Royce sub-contracted by Siemens to supply the compressors.
The order is for 11 Rolls-Royce RF3BB-20 centrifugal gas compressors that will be driven by Siemens SGT-200 gas turbines and installed at three compression stations along the 1400-kilometer, 28 inch Gasene natural gas pipeline system between Catu-Bahia State and Caçimbas-Espirito Santo State. It is designed to move 20 million cubic meters of gas per day.
Gasene is an important Brazilian government project to connect the existing south-eastern gas system to one in the north-east region of the country. It will start from the Cabiúnas Terminal in Rio de Janeiro and will run to the city of Catu in Bahia.
Petrobras is investing heavily in the oil and gas exploration and production area in the Espirito Santo Basin in south-eastern Brazil. The gas produced offshore will first be processed in a new gas treatment plant onshore before being transported via the new pipeline to consumers in the north east of Brazil.
Rolls-Royce will manufacture the compressors at its Mount Vernon facility in Ohio, USA for delivery to the Siemens assembly plant in Houston, Texas. The equipment will then be delivered from there to the compressor stations. First deliveries are scheduled for the third quarter of 2008.
- Rolls-Royce already sells the industrial RB211 gas turbine to Petrobras for use on offshore facilities. In January of 2001 contracts were received for eight RB211 power generation units for the P-43 Barracuda and P-48 Caratinga Floating Production, Storage and Offloading (FPSO) vessels. In December 2003, Rolls-Royce was awarded orders for four additional RB211 power generation packages for the P-52 FPU.
- In October 2004, further orders were placed for seven RB211 genset packages, for the P-51 Marlim Sul FPU, and for a fixed re-pumping platform, PRA-1.
- In 2005, four Rolls-Royce RB211-powered generating sets were ordered by Charter Development LLC-CDC to be installed in the P-53 Marlin Leste Floating Production Unit (FPU)
- Over 900 Rolls-Royce pipeline compressors have been sold for medium to large natural gas pipelines.
- Over 670 Rolls-Royce gas compression sets have now been ordered or delivered for 45 pipelines in 24 countries.
- Total operating hours of Rolls-Royce industrial gas turbines worldwide is over 160 million.