About your shareholding

1. What are shares?

When you buy shares in a company, you become a part owner of that company. The more shares you own, the larger the part of the company that you own. A company can have different classes of shares, and each class will have different rights. Generally, holding "ordinary shares" entitles you to certain rights under company law which include but are not limited to, the right to receive an annual report each year, the right to attend, speak and vote at the Annual General Meeting and the right to inspect certain documents.

2. What is a Registrar?

Your shareholding in Rolls-Royce Holdings plc is recorded on a register of shareholders (known as the register of members). The register is a list of the names and addresses of all Rolls-Royce ordinary shareholders and the number of shares each owns. The register is maintained on behalf of the company by Computershare Investor Services plc (‘the Registrar’). The Registrar updates the register when your personal circumstances or shareholding change, and also sends out shareholder payments, share certificates and the Company’s annual report and accounts. By law, the register is a public document which the Registrar must make available for inspection.

3. What should I do with my share certificate?

The Registrar will issue you with a share certificate stating the number of shares you own. Share certificates are evidence of your ownership and should be kept in a safe place. You will need them if you want to sell all or some of your shares in the future. Share certificates are posted to shareholders at their own risk.

4. What if I don't have a share certificate and I hold my shares electronically in an online account?

If you are holding your shares electronically in an online account (sometimes referred to as a nominee account) then please bear in mind that your account is subject to the terms and conditions of your account provider. When Rolls-Royce announces a payment to shareholders, you should receive some form of notification from your account provider setting out the options available to you and the closing date to submit any instruction. If you have a question about your account you should contact your account provider.

5. Where can I find my shareholder reference number (SRN)?

Your SRN is an 11 digit number, which usually starts with the letter ‘C’ and can be found on the right hand side of your share certificate. You should quote this number in all communications with the Registrar. You can also find your SRN number on most of the correspondence sent to you by the Registrar

6. Why do I have two different shareholder reference numbers (SRNs)?

If you purchase further shares in Rolls-Royce, but the name and address you supply to the Registrar differs, even slightly, from the existing details held, another shareholding might be created. If this happens and you want the shareholdings combined you should contact the Registrar, otherwise you may receive more than one copy of Rolls-Royce shareholder documents.

7. I have more than one share certificate. Can they be combined?

If you have several Rolls-Royce ordinary share certificates you can ask for your certificates to be consolidated into one. However, there is a fee for this service. Please contact the Registrar for further details.

8. Which Stock Exchange is the Company listed on?

The Company is listed on the London Stock Exchange. The Company’s ticker symbol is RR. Rolls-Royce Ordinary Shares are also traded “over the counter” in the United States in the form of a sponsored American Depositary Receipt (ADR) facility with J.P. Morgan as the depositary. Each ADR represents one Ordinary Share.

9. Where can I get further information on the US ADR programme?

For further information about the US ADR programme, please contact your broker or
J.P. Morgan Chase
P.O. Box 64504
St. Paul, MN 55164-0504

10. How can I find out the current share price?

You can obtain the current market price of the Company’s shares by going to the Share price page or on the London Stock Exchange website at

11.  What is the “nominal value” of a Rolls-Royce share?

Your share certificate will refer to “Rolls-Royce Holdings plc Ordinary Shares of 20 pence”. This is the “nominal value” of the share and represents its price when originally issued. Also known as “face value” or “par value”, it bears no relation to the market price.

12.  I have a Rolls-Royce Limited share certificate; is this worth anything?

Rolls-Royce Limited went into liquidation in 1971 and shareholders received distributions totalling 64.5p for every £1 unit of stock held. The final distribution was made in 1982. The funds relating to uncashed distribution cheques were passed by the liquidators to the Insolvency Service. If you believe that you did not receive these distributions and would like to check this, queries should be addressed to:

Insolvency Service
Estate Accounts and Scanning
PO Box 16652
B2 2HR
Tel: 0121 6984268

13. I have a Rolls-Royce plc and/or a Rolls-Royce Group plc share certificate; is this/are they worth anything?

No. In 2003, Rolls-Royce Group plc was introduced as the new group holding company by means of a Scheme of Arrangement under section 425 of the Companies Act 1985. Shareholders received one share in Rolls-Royce Group plc for every one share held in Rolls-Royce plc. Shareholders were asked to destroy their Rolls-Royce plc share certificates upon receipt of the new Rolls-Royce Group plc share certificate.

In 2011, Rolls-Royce Holdings plc was introduced as the new group holding company, again by means of a Scheme of Arrangement under Part 26 of Companies Act 2006. Shareholders received one share in Rolls-Royce Holdings plc for every one share held in Rolls-Royce Group plc. Shareholders were asked to destroy their Rolls-Royce Group plc share certificates upon receipt of the new Rolls-Royce Holdings plc share certificate. Only Rolls-Royce Holdings plc share certificates are valid.

14. I have lost my share certificate – what do I need to do?

If you have lost your share certificate you should report this to the Registrar immediately by calling 0870 703 0162. The Registrar will update the shareholder register and arrange for a ‘stop’ to be placed on the missing share certificate. Please check carefully before reporting your share certificate missing as there may be a charge to issue a replacement share certificate and once a share certificate has been reported as lost it cannot be reinstated if it is subsequently found.